RECIPE: Hoisin Dopsu No-Duck Pancakes With Plum Sauce
Posted: November 2021
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10-15 mins
For the pickled onions and plum sauce:
1 small red onion, halved, then sliced
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp + 2 tbsp caster sugar
2 plums, halved and stoned
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 Spice
2 tsp dark soy sauce
For the pancakes:
3 spring onions
1 medium carrot
1 tbsp vegetable oil
280g Dopsu No-Duck pieces
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
1tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
12 Chinese style pancakes
To garnish: and coriander (optional)
- First pickle the onions: Put the sliced onion in a small bowl, add 2 tbsp vinegar, good pinch of salt and the sugar and mix well. Set aside for at least 20 mins to until it is soft and pale pink.
- To make the plum sauce: Chop the plums and place in a small pan with the remaining 1 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp caster sugar and spice along with 3 tbsp water. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 7 minutes until the plums are tender. Remove from the heat, add the soy sauce, then puree with a stick blender. Spoon into a bowl.
- Finely shred the onions, cucumber and carrots and place in a bowl.
- When ready to eat, heat the vegetable oil in large frying pan, add the Dopsu No-Duck pieces and cook over a high heat, for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden.
- Stir in the hoisin sauce and sesame oil and continue to cook for a minute or so, stirring until the Dopsu No-Duck pieces are crispy. Spoon onto a serving platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve with the shredded vegetables, pickled onions, plum sauce and pancakes with a few leaves of coriander if liked.