RECIPE: Spiced Cottage Pie With Sweet Potato Harissa Mash
Posted: November 2021
Prep: 15-20 mins
Cook: 25-30 mins
600g sweet potatoes, peeled
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
280g bag Dopsu No-Beef pieces
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground smoked paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1 (400g) can chopped tomatoes
1 beef stock cube
salt and ground black pepper
2 tsp harissa paste
To serve: tenderstem broccoli and peas
- Preheat the oven to 200oC (Fan 180oC, Gas Mark 6) Cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks, then place in a pan, cover with cold water and add a pinch of salt. Cover the pan, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Heat a large wok or frying pan, add the oil, onions, carrots and peppers and then fry over a medium heat for 3 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the Dopsu No-Beef pieces and fry for a further 2 mins until beginning to colour. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a minute to release the spice flavours.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes, then half fill the empty can with water and add this to the mixture along with the stock cube and plenty of ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins before spooning into an ovenproof pie dish.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain then mash them with the harissa paste. Spoon the
sweet potato mash on top of the filling in the dish and rough up with a fork. Bake for 20 mins until the top is golden and mixture bubbling.
- Serve with tenderstem broccoli and peas.